Tuesday 11 August 2009

Summer Reading and preparations for the Fall

The builders are in and the blogging's going to be fairly haphazard for the next few weeks, so time to discuss what being read on the beaches this summer. Here's my list, feel free to add yours too.
Firstly, THE MASTER AND MARGARITA by Bulgakov. It's a Russian cult classic and it's all about what happens when the Devil comes to Moscow. Macabre and satirical. Reading this almost made me rewrite The Dark Goddess from scratch.
HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins. Like, absolutely everyone is reading this and I held back until I knew the sequel was imminent. It's kind of Battle Royale/Running Man but so much more. Little kids fighting it out to the death. What's not to like? It's the future of Reality TV.
The PERCY JACKSON series by Rick Riordan. Greek myths were my first love and he's put a great spin on the demi-god conceit. I'm almost finished with Titan's Curse.
GLADIATOR by Simon Scarrow. Fights. Roman legions and a bloody huge tidal wave in Chapter 1. I must admit though, I so prefer Macro to Cato, who, IMHO, is a bit of a smart-arse.
Just picked up DEAD UNTIL DARK by Charlaine Harris. It's the basis of the True Blood tv series. Hmm. Vampires. Okay, I love vampires and have written about this before. And will write some more when I finish it.
Visted my local friendly Waterstones and was well-chuffed to see MY BOOK on their 3 for 2 offers. So if you are wondering about that Christmas present to Gran/Uncle Bob/Little Mary Jane or whoever, now's your chance to stock up on many copies!
The US publication date approaches (1st Sept) and that's all very exciting. It's likely that I'll be over in the US later in September, care of the wonderful people at Hyperion. Details will come up as soon as I know and if I happen to be in your neighbourhood, do pop by and say hello! Or howdy, partner.

1 comment:

Jon M said...

It IS brilliant to see it around. I saw it in Chester Waterstones, of course, I made sure it was in THE most prominent place before I left but then they told me to get out of the shop window!