The Undiscovered Voices 2012 has kicked off. So, if you want to get published in children's?YA fiction, this is probably one of your best chances to do so.
I entered it in 2008 and that's how I found an agent and editor. A lot of people have come the same route, so it WORKS.
1. Avoiding the slush pile. The judges of UV are editors and agents actively looking for new talent and you'll be able to pitch your story to a lot simultaneously.
2. Publishing is competitive, you might as well learn that now and enter a competition.
3. There are 12 selected winners, so your chances are up.
4. They're not all looking for paranormal romance and dystopia. Many of the winners have won because they weren't on trend and were writing something fresh and different. Tall Story by Candy Gourlay and Kate Dale's Someone Else's Footprints are prime examples. The judges here are looking for something fresh.
5. It's NOT about who you know. It's about the writing. It's not about attending courses, or being friends with a publisher or having family members within the industry or being good looking and charming on camera. Hey, I'm none of those things and I still got published!
Enter. You never know.